Mission San Buenaventura was founded on Easter Sunday in 1782 by Father Junipero Serra; the last mission founded by the famous monk. The current chapel was built between 1793 and 1809 after the previous church was destroyed by a fire. In 1893 the interior of the church was remodeled and updated to a more contemporary style, and the original artwork and murals were painted over. It was restored to a more traditional mission style in 1957. It still operates as a parish church to this day. All that remains of the mission are the chapel and a small garden. Also on the site is a Catholic School and a small museum and giftshop. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and is a California Historic Landmark.
It is fair in comparisson to the other California Missions that we have visited. The chapel is still a functioning catholic church, and the grounds are beautiful. Most of the mission complex beside the chapel and the courtyard has been razed, which is unfortunate.